Wednesday, September 11, 2013

Business Communications - Week Two Assignment

From September 2006 until December 2011, I worked for a company that did market research.  Specifically the company worked in entertainment, mostly movie trailers.  The biggest thing we did was intercept work – we had crews in movie theaters and malls across the nation stopping people who we then tried to fit into our quota.  If they fit in the quota then we would show them trailers for previously unreleased movies, get their opinions on what they liked and didn’t like and then, after companywide quota had been met, we would send that information back to whatever movie studio had booked the work.  They would then recut the movie trailer based on that information and that is what you see on tv and in movie theaters.  Sounds fun, right?  It was an absolute BLAST.  Except when you are trying to communicate. 


In my opinion, there isn’t a person alive who hasn’t had difficulties communicating with a business.  Whether that difficulty is in the mode of communication or in the people doing the communicating, it’s still there.  How many people get irritated when they pick up the phone and speak to someone with a thick accent that they simply cannot understand?  It doesn’t take the support person saying more than “hi” and a lot of people are already irritated and assume they will not be able to understand.  I think in a lot of ways, social media could alleviate those pains. 

Recently, I had an issue with Amazon Textbooks.  I had returned a book but they had no record of it.  Amazon has a nifty chat feature that made resolving the issue so much easier.  With two small children, my (quiet) phone time is limited so using the chat was infinitely better.  When the phone did ring and I spoke to the Amazon support staff member, he had a very thick dialect that was a bit difficult to understand.  We did not have that hurdle when in the chat window.

I’m sure you’ve seen the many viral Facebook posts about who did what at Walmart or Target and the response that they’ve received.  There have been more than one case of some business firing employees over something posted on Facebook.  The most recent thing I saw on Facebook was a group of employees quitting the shoe store Journeys during a back to school sale because of the manager.  I’ve liked the pages of several businesses and communicate through their Facebook page and it really does make it a lot easier.  You know they check their Facebook pages regularly.
 

In my opinion it is the people who make communication positive or negative, not the medium.


10 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cynthia, I want that movie trailer job! It sounds like so much fun!!!

    But you gave a good example on communication: I think Amazon is one of the best companies to deal with, be it for buying, selling, or addressing problems. They've got it right!

    Lenah

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you're in the San Diego area, I can pass along the San Diego manager's email! When my husband left the company in 2012, they had sites at the Plaza Bonita mall (in the food court) and one at the San Marcos regal movie theater. :)

      I agree that Amazon is amazing - I do almost all of my online shopping through Amazon!

      Delete
  3. ....yah Cynthia! This was an AWESOME post!! I STRONGLY agree with it being easier to communicate.

    ReplyDelete
  4. ...EXCELLENT point Cynthia!! I too have used the Amazon chat and it is awesome. It really does make communicating easier, especially when you get those people on the phone you can barely understand!! Have a fantastic week Cynthia.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks John! I really find that if a company offers a chat it can get the problem straightened out much quicker!

      Delete
  5. Were can I sign up for this job? I agree with you about the live chat option I have used that feature myself a couple of times and find it way more simpler.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Cynthia, I so agree with you that it is PEOPLE that make the communication positive or negative! We forget that it is still people who have to write those communications on whichever social media outlet we frequent. I think sometimes writing everything is harder because we don't have those verbal cues to let us know when someone has not understood or misunderstood (sometimes worse)our written word. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have had those experiences where I have called for help/assistance and then got someone I could not understand and, of course, that was after I had to push numerous buttons to finally speak with a person. I once actually had to ask to speak with someone else because I could not understand her. With a couple businesses I deal with, they now have "Chat" mail, it takes longer, and you are typing messages back and forth, but at least I was able to understand what I needed to do.

    ReplyDelete